Tuesday, July 17, 2012

Who's Flying Home Today; Not Me!

Departure Day
Tuesday, July 17

Well, everyone flew out of Kyiv today.... except for me. No worries, though! It was planned that way. I will be staying on for another week+, fully wearing my hat as board member of Music in World Cultures, and so my posts from this point on will be regarding my “bonus” week in Ukraine.  I said good bye to all my fellow Evanglion-ers as they boarded the big beautiful white Mercedes bus with the really comfortable seats and great interior, icy cold A/C (which we all wished we could have driven around Ukraine).

I had a small bit of perezhevanya myself last night – in the hustle and bustle of finishing the concert, taking pictures, putting things away and being shooed out of the Conservatory, I left my garment bag containing my day clothes and my cell phone in the dressing room backstage. A small thing, but for a while it was a bit stressful to figure out what to do with the phone, and how to inactivate it. Thankfully, I was able to connect with my wife Heidi via FaceTime on my iPad and tell her what I needed to have done. Thanks, Heidi! Eventually, I began to think positively about it:  If I found it, we could reactivate it, and all would be well.  Were it to have been stolen, I would have considered it “God’s will” that I should get an iPhone. A win-win!

Vitaliy drove me to the Tchaikovsky Conservatory in his car, and we were met by the Director as we entered the side door. He had been present in 2006 when we sang our joint concert with the Conservatory Choir up in the organ hall on the top floor. That was when Oleksandr Tarasenko was their conductor. This Conservatory Director is also one of their main conducting teachers, and a very kind and generous man. I greeted him in Ukrainian, and to my great surprise he bowed to me and called me “maestro.” And, I think he sincerely meant it! That doesn’t happen very often (try NEVER), if you know what I mean! I might just stay here, and never come back!! (Just kidding, family…) We went backstage, and sure enough, there it was, just where I had left it. Big relief. Vitaliy then drove me to Central Baptist or the Shschekavits’ka Church. I am all settled in and cozy now in Room #35 for the next week plus. Got connected to WiFi, which is better than most of the hotels where we stayed. I remember the days of agonizingly slow dial-up, and the real veterans remember not having any way of communicating whatsoever with home and family, loved ones. So, I do not take this for granted in any way whatsoever. That I could be checked into my room, and online within 10 minutes is remarkable. But, it is this contact with the other half of the world that makes being here more bearable.

Here in this place, I have really everything I need. Comfy bed, private bath, windows that open (natural Ukrainian A/C), a room fan, and bottled water across the hall. It’s a balmy 72 degrees, breezy with blue skies here in Kyiv today, and a beautiful day to launch Chapter 2 of my Ukrainian Adventure. After an hour nap, I was more than ready to venture out for afternoon Chai (tea). I wandered down the block behind the church, to find an Italian restaurant called Sorrento. There I sat in their breezy outdoor patio, reading my book and enjoying a fresh Caprese salad, Italian bread and lemon-mint iced tea. Almost heaven, Kyiv style.

Many of you are asking me what comes next in my Ukrainian Adventure? No vacation, that’s for sure. I want to be used extensively during my time here, and I have made that clear. Tonight (Tuesday), there is a worship service in the church, which will be followed by dinner with Serhiy and Vitaliy, and we will discuss the events of the week. Tomorrow I will meet with Wes Janzen, principal conductor of the Kiev Symphony Orchestra and Chorus [KSOC] to discuss future collaborations. Wes and I have been friends since 1987 when he shadowed Dale and the Dale Warland Singers during our “year of Penderecki” where we sang the St. Luke Passion, and other pieces. Wes is on the faculty at Trinity Western University in Vancouver, B.C. and is a gifted conductor and a believer with a tender heart. We both love Ukraine. He flew into Kyiv yesterday, and attended our concert at the Conservatory last night. It was good to see him! We want to dream and imagine what the future looks like, with collaborations and projects to build the Kingdom here in Ukraine and beyond.

Later on Wednesday evening, we will travel out of central Kyiv to one of the churches where I will work with a Youth Choir, and we will talk seriously about the need for a high view of excellence in church music. Apparently, in this particular church, this is being debated. Prayer would be appreciated. SDG will play a large role. Thursday-Saturday, there is a men’s chorus mini-festival and individual conducting master classes, and the men’s choir will be involved in worship on Sunday. Next Monday-Wednesday there will be rehearsals of the Kyiv Youth Choir which will be preparing for a large Baptist congress in August. This will be jointly led by Serhiy and Vitaliy, so I am looking forward to observing their work and cheering them on. You can bet they will try to get me to conduct something.

Enough for now. Grateful to God for great weather and the Son shining down on all of this. Slava Bohu.

No comments:

Post a Comment