Sunday, July 22, 2012

A Sabbath, but not much rest!


Sunday, July 22

Today was a fairly typical Ukrainian Sunday. The original plan was for our men’s choir – which I have temporarily named Cantus Kairos (abbreviated “CK” but not Calvin Klein; means “Singing in God’s time”) - to participate in three worship services: 10, 2 and 6pm. Given that these services usually run 2+ hours each, it seemed a bit optimistic when I first heard the plan. Stay tuned….

The day began with an adventure in the middle of nowhere, yet still in Kyiv. The men all converged from their various home stays on the church grounds for a warm up and rehearsal a little over an hour before the service was to begin. It was truly in the middle of a jungle-like parcel of land from which you could see all the gleaming new high rise apartments not far off the freeway en route to Boryspil Airport. Where we were was more like a forested de-militarized zone, dumping grounds, abandoned trucks and cars, furniture, junk, general stuff no one wanted. And, out of this, apparently thanks to a great deal with the Yushenko government (past) this tiny congregation had carved this church complex with a sanctuary that seated about 50 people. (the sanctuary was actually smaller than the Evangelion tour bus) With 14-15 of us, we more than filled the altar level of the church, which also had a piano strategically placed on one wall, a pulpit, and a few green plants.

They had done a great job with this place; I was so impressed. The inside of the room was pristine, with new walls and flooring, fresh paint, clean light fixtures, new chairs, and new German-made windows. Like many people, the outside didn’t look like much at all, but the inside was truly amazing. (This was, ironically, also the topic of today’s sermon by the pastor of that church!) The fast-paced, trim and well-organized 2+ hour service included at least 10 different musical pieces – six anthems by the men’s choir, a solo (by a male member of the church) and duet (Mikhail and his wife Yulia), and two selections by a young virtuoso pan-flute player (yes, you read that correctly) named Benjamin, a member of CK. I have never heard such music, and this young man is nothing short of amazing. He is the one with the smile that could turn a cloudy sky into blue and sunshine. I’m not sure I would ever hear this kind of music anywhere but Eastern Europe or South America. I remember hearing pan flutes in Peru, but this is a professional model and nothing at all like the good old “El Condor Pasa” sounds of my childhood!

After the service, a quick lunch while standing around a “ya’ll come and grab a sandwich, cucumbers and tomatoes” table, complete with Kvass to drink, and we were back in the cars and headed back across the Dnipro. Our destination was up onto the expensive house hill, on which the church known as Slovo Zhitya (Word of Life) is situated. Literally perched on the side of a hill with a panoramic view of the Statue of Liberty-esque statue to the Motherland, or the Rodina Mat, otherwise known as “Baba” (no, it’s not “Bubba”…DP!) and the whole Dnipro river flats and high rises below. This church is the dream of old Pastor Kunyets, still going strong. Many of you will remember that he is the grandfather to translators Masha Ryaba (now Dunina) and really tall Sasha Ryabiy. (Those of you on the Colonial Chorale tour in 2005 and the NWC Choir tour in 2006, will recognize these names, perhaps.) We once again participated in a worship service. This time, it was with A/C running (off an on, but still running!). I can still remember how hot this room was back in 2005 with the Colonial Chorale.

It was so great to see the towering walls of the new Slovo Zhitya church rising. Last time I was here, it was just a poured concrete foundation and a few rounds of bricks. I will say again, if only I were rich, I would give them what they need to get it done and they could move in later this fall. Building projects move so slowly here…. Lord, can you help them soon? Or, come soon? Either one would be wonderful. Pastor Kunyets is not getting any younger! His dream is not yet fulfilled.

Thankfully, this was to be our final service of this marathon day. There would be no participation in an evening service. After 8 and ½ hours of actively participating in worship and traveling around, this was more than enough for one day. During the last service, I wearily asked for my translation to stop. I just could not bear to cram any more words – of English, Russian or Ukrainian – or any language for that matter - into what was left of my brain. After the second service, we had a nice group tea in a small room in the other half of the hilltop compound. It was bittersweet, because our time together was coming to an end. Yuri Sliva, our wonder-bass (who sang a low A below double low C this morning – that is, three octaves and a minor third below middle C!), spoke for the group. It was heart-warming and sad at the same time. They always want to know when I am coming back. And, I can never say. Only God knows. They prayed for me, for Steve Benham and others they know love Ukraine, and for the continued ministry of each of the men who had participated in CK. After a few goodbyes and “dopobachinya’s”, we all went our separate ways. Vitaliy Bolgar dropped me off at the church, and I stumbled bleary-eyed into my room. I lay down to rest for a couple of minutes, and 30 minutes later I woke up from what was already a sound sleep. I forced myself to get up, and walked around the block to Sorrento, the new Italian restaurant right by Central Bapt. where I treated myself to a 3-hour Italian dinner as I downloaded a Mission Impossible movie onto my iPad. I needed something completely different tonight! It was actually refreshing to hear people talking Italian around me – which I understood most of. I was so happy to be able to Skype with Heidi and Erika tonight (sorry to miss seeing and talking to you, Emily!). I am so much closer to home than I was a week ago – I can feel the pull. But, I am determined to make the most of the next three days! More to come. Dopobachinya

Psalm 133:1-3
How good and pleasant it is when brothers (NWV: God’s people) live together in unity! It is like precious oil poured on the head, running down on the beard, running down on Aaron’s beard, down on the collar of his robe. It is as if the dew of Hermon were falling on Mount Zion. For there the Lord bestows his blessing, even life forevermore.

No comments:

Post a Comment